|PC: Ryan Frazee|
Bullet 1: Do you feel music in general has rules or more like guidelines?
- Music for us definitely has no guidelines. Music can't be put in a box, its rules are meant to be pushed and bent. Mixing different influences and genres is a big part of our music, and as a band are always trying to push towards something people haven't heard before and making something truly unique.
Bullet 2: Talk about the production on your new music. Who produced it, where did you record it? Overall how does the band work together when recording?
- We record at The Blasting Room (Rise Against, A Day To Remember) with producer Chris Beeble. Chris really becomes the 6th member of Shatterproof when we are in the studio and has his ideas and signature all over music. In the studio we are very collaborative, we like giving input into all of other members parts and shaping the songs as a whole together. We don't have a single songwriter, we write all of our stuff together, and that goes for the recording process as well.
Bullet 3: How often do you work on your music? This can include songwriting, practicing the instruments?
- We are working on something almost every day. If that's getting together and practicing 3 or 4 days a week. Or working on stuff on our own from writing, demoing, booking etc... we are a constantly working machine.
Bullet 4: Does the band have a philosophy/Motto?
- 'We are Shatterproof' would probably be our motto. When we came up with the name Shatterproof, at first it didn't have any meaning. But as we matured as a band it adopted a meaning in that together we can get through anything, we are all in this together, we are unbreakable. This band is far more then just the 5 of us, it's anyone who is on this journey with us, our fans, our family and friends, We Are Shatterproof.
Bullet 5: What is it you want your music to say to the world?
- We want to spread a message of positivity and love. It sounds cliche but we really do want to be a source of positivity and hope for our fans.
Bullet 6: Do any of you have a 'secret' band or musician you love that everyone would go... “No Way, not them!”
- Jeremy likes some of Justin Bieber's music, and TJ likes ABBA.
Bullet 7: When was the last time you figuratively put your foot in your mouth? How were you able to recover?
- We have a story of actually putting a foot in a mouth. We did a truth or dare game with our fans over snapchat (the rule was to keep it clean) but TJ got dared to put Ben's toe in his mouth, and he did it, it was gross.
- For us we always try and find stuff to make it more interesting, go see cool sights or spots, local coffee houses, landmarks, museums. If we are going to be going to all these cool cities and states, we might as well see as much as we can in each place we go. The other thing we really love seeing is growth in each city we revisit. It's so much fun to see people in places so far from home coming out to shows over and over again.
Bullet 9: What if anything would you say you have learned the most about yourself or selves through your music?
- I would say we have learned that we are perfectionists when it comes to our music. We always want the end product to be our best work, and not to put anything out unless we are truly happy with it. I feel like we have all learned a lot about brotherhood as well, spending so much time together for weeks at a time, and learning to not get angry or frustrated with each other. We really don't get sick of each other very easily, and when tour ends we are usually all wanting to go back on the road right away.
Bullet 10: Why should people experience your music?
- We really believe we have something unique to offer. We try to be a complete package, interesting to listen to, high energy live show, and quality production both on record and at shows. We want to be something that people haven't heard before, and take them by surprise with our music and shows.
Bullet 11: You get to have an audience of fans undivided attention for ten minutes. What would you tell them or sing to them?
- We would probably just play as much of our own music as we can in 10 minutes, we think the music should speak for itself.
Bullet 12: Favorite Albums, name at least one for each band member.
- Our music taste is so all over the place so we're going to list 1 album per member. Josh: Say Anything: ...Is A Real Boy. TJ: Sigur Rós: Valtari. Branson: The Neighborhood: Wiped Out! Benji: Pink Floyd: The Wall. Jeremy: Post Malone: Stoney
|PC: Ryan Frazee|
Bullet 13: Any unsigned emerging bands song you are all listening too?
- 'The Thief' by Baseline. Some friends of ours from Phoenix who we recently did a few shows with. Killer up and coming band.
Bullet 14: If you could ask yourself one question what would it be?
- Who am I?
Bullet 15: What are some of the unwritten rules of tours, performing, recording, living a band life?
- For Tour: Shower whenever you can, you don't know when you're going to get your next one. Hydrate all of the time, you're going to sweat it all out on stage. Make as much money on the side as you can, because pay on tour is hard to come by.
Bullet 16: Favorite on the road food?